Dear friends and colleagues,
On behalf of the organising committee, it is my pleasure to invite you to the 5th Nordic Geographers’ Meeting, to be held in Reykjavík, Iceland, in June 2013.
Since the first NGM was held in Lund, Sweden, in 2005, this biennial event has become established as a conference of importance for the geographic community, not only in the Nordic countries but also internationally. The theme of the NGM in Reykjavík is Responsible Geographies. This, we argue, is a theme that is relevant and urgent for all geographers, whether they place their research within physical or human geography, or are working across this (sometimes spurious) divide. Of course, geographers have always been conscious of their many-sided responsibilities, but we think the time is ripe to focus on this, given the transformations in nature, economy and culture that are taking place in the world as we speak.
A number of prominent scholars have agreed to give keynote lectures at the conference. These are:
- Guðrún Gísladóttir, Professor, University of Iceland
- Gunhild Setten, Associate Professor, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway
- Jarkko Saarinen, Professor, University of Oulu, Finland
- Julie Wilk, Associate professor, Linköping University, Sweden
- Jørgen Ole Bærenholdt, Professor, Roskilde University, Denmark
- Katherine Gibson, Professor, University of Western Sydney, Australia
The organising committee looks forward to an interesting and intellectually stimulating conference in Reykjavík, with a broad range of sessions and individual contributions. We will do our best to create a well-organised event with a convivial atmosphere.
Welcome to Reykjavík, Iceland, 11-14 June 2013!
Chair of the Organising Committee